If you’ve been following me for a while it will not come as a surprise to you that CPK is one of my favorite chain restaurants of all time. We went there a lot as kids because everyone in the family loved something on the menu – and my sister and I were picky eaters so that was a big deal! So it was a sad day when CPK in downtown Chicago closed its doors (the rent was going up – ugh), so I have resorted to making my own avocado club egg rolls at home to get my fix of my favorite appetizer there.
I make mine in an air fryer, but if you don’t have one – this recipe has everything you need to make them in the oven.
- Egg roll wrappers (these can be found in the produce section at most grocery stores. It makes no sense but that’s where they are!)
- 1 grilled chicken breast – diced
- 1 large Roma tomato – seeded and diced
- 2 strips of bacon – chopped or crumbled
- Shredded cheese
- 1/2 avocado – peeled and sliced or chopped
- ranch dressing (to dip)
- PAM cooking spray
It depends how big your air fryer is, but overall this whole process of cooking the chicken and then compiling the items, rolling the egg rolls, and frying them probably took an hour.
4 egg rolls
- Combine filling ingredients – bacon, chicken, tomatoes, and cheese – in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Place the egg roll wrapper on a flat dry surface in a diamond shape – so one corner is pointing towards you. NOTE: the wrappers need to be in the fridge so the longer you leave them out the harder they are to work with and can tear so just be gentle with them when handling.
- Distribute about 1/4 cup of the filling into the middle of the egg roll wrapper placing chopped or sliced avocado on top.
- Fill a bowl with water – this will be for sealing your egg roll wrappers. Dip your fingers in the bowl and brush the outer edge of the wrapper before you start to roll.
- Rolling an egg roll is like rolling a mini burrito. Take the diamond point closest to your body and wrap that underneath the filling.
- Fold over the two sides on the right and left of your diamond and then roll the egg roll closed.
- Spray both sides of the egg roll in cooking spray.
- Place egg rolls in the air fryer. I usually do two at a time since I have a smaller air fryer.
- Air fryer should be set at 350 degrees and for 5 minutes per side. Make sure to flip in the middle so it’s nice and crispy on both sides.
- Cut diagonally and then serve with the ranch dressing.