At the end of January, my girlfriends and I went to Cabo San Lucas for a little girls trip. The goal was to drink all the tequila, sit by a gorgeous pool, and just relax. We were only there for 4 days and we really spent a lot of time at our hotel, but below are some of my recommendations. I 1000% want to go back soon because I really loved it there. It has a really unique topography that almost reminded me of Ibiza. It has fun nightlife. It has gorgeous resorts. It’s not far from Chicago. I totally get the hype around Cabo now. So below are the places I recommend that we went to.
We stayed at The Montage Los Cabos and it was probably the nicest hotel I have ever experienced. First off, the location is just perfect. It’s not in downtown Cabo, but not far enough that you can’t take a cab or Uber downtown. It’s also right on the Santa Maria beach which is conveniently on a bay. A lot of Cabo is on rougher ocean water so it’s harder to kayak or paddleboard or even swim, but this water was calm and easy to do activities in.
The rooms are GORGEOUS. Our outdoor shower was my favorite feature and the amazing turndown service every night. And don’t get me started on the staff. I could talk your ear off about how great the service was. The resort is pretty small so everyone knows you by name…or in our case by what we drank. Mimosas in the morning, tequila in the afternoon, and wine at dinner.
- Happy Endings: Hands down my favorite bar we went to when we went out on the town in downtown Cabo. It had more locals than tourists, beer pong, and the DJ was cranking out the old and new hits.
- The Office: One day, we were supposed to take a booze cruise and it fell through so we changed plans and ended up getting lunch at this beach bar. They walk around with shooters, people can come to braid your hair, and the food was pretty decent. They also make their own tequila. It’s a super fun party atmosphere and you are literally sitting in the sand. My only complaint is that this place is really out of the way and it definitely seems like a day party so you are missing a day in the sun (all their tables are under umbrellas), so come here closer to sunset if you want more time at the pool.
- La Vaquita: We happened upon this place on our way to a club and loved the outdoor dance party vibe they had going on.
- Mandala: A legit nightclub. We were only here for a little while before asking where the closest taco place was (the best idea we ever had), but this place was fun although it for sure had a more American vibe. You sort of felt like you were in Vegas, not Cabo.
- The Rooftop at the Cape: We started our night out here with live music and lovely views of the ocean. The food was just OK and the drinks are pretty expensive since it is a hotel, so I recommend coming for sunset and a drink and then moving on. But the live band was my favorite part for SURE. The lead singer of the band we saw sounded exactly like Charlie Puth.
P.S. Everyone kept telling me we HAD to go to Cabo Wabo Cantina because even though it’s cheesy, it’s fun. Not sure if we just had a weird night but everyone was over 55 and the band was not that great. We had one drink and peaced out of there. I would avoid even though it’s a must on a lot of to-do lists out there.
- Flora Farms: We didn’t leave our hotel for many meals since the hotel was so fabulous, but we did make one trek off-site to go to Flora Farms which is a restaurant/bar/event space/shopping area/ice cream store. It literally has everything including a spa and they also teach different classes on the farm too like cooking or painting classes. We came for lunch and got a bunch of pizzas and an amazing charcuterie board. We stayed until they literally kicked us out because they have so many fun little areas to explore like a turtle pond and a beautiful garden. It’s out of the way, but worth it.
- Mezcal: This was the nicer restaurant at our hotel. We loved our meal here and I think it’s worth going to if you want to get out of the downtown area. All the seat are near fire pits and look out on the water and the food was spectacular – especially the fish tacos!