Oh Palm Springs! It’s a wonderland of color, architecture, and modernism and I LOVE it. If you didn’t know before (and you probably do), I love color. Palm Springs basically IS color, so it’s an awesome place to go if you want sun, history, culture, and relaxation. Below are some of my recommendations for hotels, things to see, the best pool party scenes and bars!
Palm Springs has some fierce hotel options and while most of the ones below are $$$, they are super gorgeous and even if you can’t afford to stay at one, checking them out for the interiors, architecture or bars/restaurants, is definitely recommended!
- Parker: God, is this place just #GOALS. The first time I came here was just for cocktails during a bachelorette party and we got to hang out in the lobby and have some spicy margs, but didn’t get much further. This place is so exclusive that a lot of movie stars stay here (Leonardo DiCaprio and Charlize Theron were JUST there according to my Uber driver), so they keep the grounds on lock down only to guests. Even if you’re going to the spa for the day, you can’t just wander around the grounds after. Somehow, we convinced the security guard to let us prance around and we happened upon so many fun nooks and crannies. If you can somehow sneak back here, totally worth it. You could hang out here all day playing croquet, giant chess, ping pong or in their many pools. Also, the spa is so great and I got one of the best facials I’ve ever had. Another fun note: Jonathan Adler just did some of the renovations and the decor is so colorful, quirky and fun.
- Saguaro: Another place that screams COLOR! I have actually only been to this hotel in Phoenix because the last time we were there was the big White Party and it was mayhem trying to get on property, but this place is great to stop by and explore and take some Instagram pics 🙂
- The Colony Palms: This is where I stayed this past weekend and my sister and I were big fans of the relaxing pool (this is NOT a party pool by the way), big fluffy robes, and good drinks. Their restaurant is really great, so I highly recommend coming here for a drink or dinner.
Things to See
- That Pink Door: This is someone’s actual home that people come to take photos in front of all. damn. day. I am no exception. I came here with a gaggle of girls during my friend’s bachelorette and we did a full on photo shoot and it was great. The address is 1100 E Sierra Way if you feel so inclined to do the same! And don’t forget to use the hashtag #thatpinkdoor. Yes, it has it’s own hashtag.
- Elvis’s Honeymoon Hideaway: Mid-century modern architecture runs rampant in Palm Springs, and one way to see it is by bike. That’s what my friends and I did when we were there last May. It was hot as Hades but we biked all over including to Elvis’s Honeymoon Hideaway, which was also his and Priscilla’s home for two years in the ’60s. You can go in and get a tour, but we just biked by and stopped for some photos.
- Self-guided architecture tour: I am huge in history and architecture, so checking out some of that while we were there was important to me. Click the link here for some of the better spots to check out and you can do your own tour – with a car or a bike!
- Tramway: This past weekend was my first time going up the Tramway, and it was a really fun little trip. We went up and had some lunch and lots of wine (whoops!) and just chilled. The view is spectacular and a little chilly so bring a jacket. Pro tip: they have full bars at the main level where you pick up the tram and another one at the top, so you can drink while you wait for the tram on both sides!
- Lisa Vanderpump’s Star: While you’re shopping, you have to stop and get a picture with Lisa Vanderpump’s star on the Walk of Fame. I’m a huge Housewives fan, so this was a must for me. You can find her star at 155 S. Palm Canyon Dr.
- Joshua Tree National Park: FYI, the national park is only about an hour away from Palm Springs, so if you have a car I HIGHLY recommend checking it out. We went at sunset for a picnic and I wish we had had more time to explore.
- Riveria at Palm Springs: This place is a bachelorette heaven and has great DJs, fun cocktails (get the mojito!) and sometimes have fun pop-ups around the pool. When we were there they had a free tequila tasting! If you want a fun party atmosphere, I highly recommend their pool party.
- Saguaro: I mentioned them above, but you should for sure check which DJs are playing while you’re there because that totally indicates whether it will be a rager or not. I still need to get here, but I’ve heard this place gets wild.
- Ace Hotel & Swim Club: This place is all about the pool parties and often have different themed ones, so check out their calendar to see what’s happening while you’re there because it’s probably worth checking out.
- Bootlegger Tiki: This is the cutest little tiki bar speakeasy in the middle of downtown Palm Springs. Cocktails are great, inside is adorable.
- The Purple Room: This was a Rat Pack hang-out back in the day and still acts as a traditional supper club with live entertainment. I did not get to go, but I’ve heard it transports you back in time. Def make a reservation and get a martini.
- Woody’s: If you can’t get a reservation at the above, I recommend here. It’s more casual, has great burgers, and the Frank Sinatra-esque live music. A lot of musicians also hang out here so you never know who you will see!
Check back next week for more of my Palm Springs recs – including restaurants and walls!